Get involved and have creative fun at home during these times of social distancing. Any age can join in, using only the materials and objects that can be found in and around the home.
Each week there will be a new theme, and on Fridays we are asking you to share your creations with us, on either social media using the hashtag #HarleyFashionShowFriday or we welcome you to upload them to our online gallery below. We can’t wait to see them!
For the first week the theme is ‘On your Head’. This can be anything from a hat to a wig, or a crazy crown. Remember you can use anything from around the home, cardboard boxes, newspaper, kitchen utensils, balloons, toys, have a look in the garage, shed or garden. Maybe you’ll make a flower pot fez.
If you prefer, we have provided a simple step by step guide, but, we are more than happy for you to go freestyle on us!
What you will need to make a cardboard wig:
- Card/cereal box or large side of a box
- We invite you to take part in Fashion Show Friday
- Pencil and rubber
- Marker pen or dark felt pen
- Tape or glue
- Piece of scrap paper A4 or bigger
- Paint and brushes (optional)
- Wrapping paper, sparkly bits or ribbon (optional)
Follow this simple step by step guide:
- Work out what size you would like your wig and find a suitable size piece of card.
- Roughly measure the width of your face (you might need help with this). Mark this on the scrap paper and work out the size you want your face to pop through.
- Using the face guide, Mark it on the card. Remember if you want long hair put it higher up the page, if you want tall hair, put it lower down. Roughly sketch out your wig design with a pencil.
- Using a marker or felt pen trace the lines you want to keep on your card. When the pen is dry run out the lines you don’t want.
Cut out. At this point you can leave it uncoloured. Just skip to step 10.
- Paint inside the lines, I used acrylic paint, but you can use whatever you have.
- Allow the paint to dry. I added a bow made out of some left over wrapping paper. Add details if you want, with whatever you have at hand.
- Cut a strip of card about 4 cm wide and long enough to go around your head. Hold the wig to your face where you want it to be. Get someone to help tape (or glue) the band around the back of your head.Have fun and remember, it’s not just for kids.
Share your photos with us using #HarleyFashionShowFriday or upload to our gallery below!